All students are required to conduct an annual Progress Report meeting with their Thesis Committee each year after passing the Preliminary Exam. The Progress meeting must be scheduled by mid-May and completed by the end of August of each consecutive academic year.
This evaluation provides a mechanism for the student to learn about his/her overall progress towards their degree and to identify areas of strength and weakness in the student’s development as an independent scientist. The Progress Report meeting is also an opportunity for the student to utilize the expertise of their mentoring committee in gaining expert advice toward advancing their research objectives. The Progress Report ensures the student is making satisfactory research progress toward achievement of the PhD.
Requirements to complete
Prior to the Progress Report Meeting:
- Schedule a Progress Report meeting: Inform GPC Office of the meeting date.
- Prepare a short oral presentation (approximately 30 min) of research progress.
- Download and complete the top section of the Progress Report Form.
- Be sure to indicate that the yearly Seminar Requirement has been met.
- Provide the Form to your Thesis Advisor at least one week prior to the scheduled meeting.
At the Progress Report meeting:
- Present an oral report describing the past year’s accomplishments.
- The report will be discussed by the student, the Thesis Advisor, and the Thesis Committee.
- At least three Thesis Committee members must be present and sign the Progress Report Form.
Following the Progress Report meeting:
- Deliver the completed “Progress Report Form” to the GPC Office.