After forming a Thesis Committee, first year students must hold a initial meeting with their Thesis Committee. This meeting must be scheduled by and completed by the end of August of the student’s first year. Any exceptions to this timeline must be approved in advance by the DGS.
- At this meeting, the student discusses their research plans, their Individual Development Plan, and chooses appropriate coursework to take towards completion of their PSD Core Curriculum Requirements
- The meeting takes approximately 45-60 minutes
II. Requirements to Complete
Prior to the Initial Thesis Committee Meeting:
At the Meeting:
- Bring a current grade report (available at MY UW at wisc.edu)
- Obtain signatures of Committee members on the Academic Plan Form
- The majority of the committee must be present at the meeting (at least 3 members including the Thesis Advisor)
- If necessary, the student should meet individually with the rest of the committee to get their input and signatures after the meeting
Following the Meeting:
- Upload the signed Academic Plan Form to your Box folder
- Ensure that one of the Pharmsci faculty members on your committee (who is not your advisor) is willing to serve as the informal “vice-chair” of your committee. This person will be responsible for ensuring that all topics on the committee meeting form are addressed during the meeting, and will take the lead in filling out the form with feedback at the conclusion of the meeting.