All students are reminded to be aware of their own security, especially after daytime hours. Whenever possible, do not walk alone at night and always be aware of your immediate surroundings. A network of well-lighted sidewalks and pedestrian paths, the “Lightway,” has been established adjacent to buildings that are heavily used at night. The university encourages walking along Lightway paths when walking around campus at night. Lightway routes are marked with reflective Lightway logos affixed to light poles. For information on evening transportation options, including SAFEwalk Escorts, SAFEride Cab, and SAFEride Bus, call 262-5000, email email@example.com, or visit https://transportation.wisc.edu/safewalk/.
The Dean of Students Office and the Rape Crisis Center coordinate Chimera Self-Defense, an assertiveness and self-defense training program for female students, faculty, and staff of all ages and physical abilities and disabilities. Visit https://thercc.org/programs-and-services/chimera-self-defense/.
Campus safety resources
- University of Wisconsin Police Department (UWPD) serves as our campus police force and works in conjunction with the City of Madison police force. The UWPD is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if you need them.
- WiscAlerts and electronic Crime Warnings serve as our campus emergency alert system provided by UWPD to inform the campus community of any emergency situations by phone and e-mail.
- Badger Watch, a volunteering program provides free training to students and campus staff about safety issues on campus and tips to keep yourself safe.
- SAFEwalk, a free nightly service that sends student employees to accompany you home from anywhere on campus.
- Nighttime campus bus service can also help you to get home after a long night of studying in the library.
- Lightway Walking Paths are a network of well-lighted paths for pedestrians
- Emergency Telephones are placed throughout campus (over 60 currently in place) and connect instantly to the local emergency operator.
- Office of Cybersecurity at UW-Madison offers guides and training to help students prevent identity theft and other online scams.