Board Members

SPiGH Board Members 2023-2024

Alyssa Kuhn

Credentials: DPH-3

Position title: Co-President

Email: akkuhn2@wisc.edu

Picture in Colombia

Countries traveled to include Spain, Cayman Islands, Mexico, Jamaica, France, Colombia, Canada.

• I am passionate about global health as I believe the way we care for patients should be individualized to meet and support the culture of each person around the world. There is so much to learn about global health that will make us more informed and therefore closer to our patients. Not only has travel and hosting foreign exchange students been a big part of my life, but I have also gained a new perspective on how global health can be supported at the local level throughout pharmacy school. I cannot wait to dive deeper into global health through summer field courses, APPE rotations, and events during the school year.

Nora Pecha

Credentials: DPH-3

Position title: Co-President

Email: npecha@wisc.edu

Picture in Great Smoky Mountains, TN

Countries I am interested in traveling to include Iceland, Morocco, Thailand, and Germany.

• As I completed undergraduate courses relating to international healthcare systems and understanding the various powers involved in healthcare system infrastructure, I have gained a new perspective as to how many variables account for health outcomes in populations. Although I have not been able to participate in any international pharmacy experiences yet, I am excited to have the opportunity to enroll in the faculty-led field course and travel during a future semester!

Sabina Dzamalija

Credentials: DPH-2

Position title: President- Elect

Email: dzamalija@wisc.edu

Picture in Vienna, Austria

Countries traveled to include Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Serbia, Mexico, Montenegro. I hope to eventually see a lot more including Switzerland and Turkey.

• My fascination with global health stems from the fact that I have many family members that have been internationally displaced which has given me insight to societal, cultural and economical world affairs at large and the impact policy directly has on communities globally. I’m inspired by the efforts that people make to provide relief in regards to the health, safety, and equity on micro and macro scales and hope to continue to support progressive action that genuinely makes an impact. 

Gretchen Wuerger

Credentials: DPH-3

Position title: Secretary

Email: gwuerger@wisc.edu

Picture in Milan, Italy

Countries already traveled to include New Zealand, Iceland, and Italy! I would love to travel and I hope to visit every continent in my life.

• I am interested in Global Health for a variety of reasons, the main one being that I have a significant interest in helping those who are not able to help themselves. When I think of who fits into that population, I think of those living in underserved countries who cannot obtain the healthcare they deserve and require. I am not sure how this will look in my future practice, but I do know that I want to help those who need it most. I hope that at some point this will entail working or volunteering as a pharmacist globally through international organizations to help individuals who do not have the access to care that they deserve.

Leah Lofquist

Credentials: DPH-3

Position title: Treasurer

Email: llofquist@wisc.edu

Picture in Belize

Countries traveled to include Ecuador, Belize, and Mexico, but I would love to visit Greece and Italy in the near future!

•  My interest in Global Health started when I traveled to Ecuador for a community service project and continued in undergrad when I joined a Global Health student organization. I learned a lot about different types of healthcare in different countries and am excited to learn more about the role of pharmacy in Global Health, with hopes of doing an International APPE Rotation during my fourth year.

Tegan Quinn

Credentials: DPH-3

Position title: Co-Chair of Community Outreach

Email: tquinn4@wisc.edu

Picture in Kauai, Hawaii

Countries traveled to include Haiti, Germany, Austria, Slovakia, and England.

• I am interested in Global Health because it gives me the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of different healthcare systems and health disparities that are present locally and globally. I can apply the skills I gain in pharmacy school and from experience to cultivate change in marginalized and underserved communities through education, empowerment, and empathy. I look forward to participating in the opportunities that the Global Health Institute has to offer and to grow as a student pharmacist through them!

Sophie Lenoach

Credentials: DPH-3

Position title: Co-Director of Community Outreach

Email: lenoach@wisc.edu

Picture in Saint Malo, France

Countries traveled to include England, France, Italy, and Belgium. In the future, I would love to travel to Iceland, Tanzania, or South Africa. 

• I am interested in global health because I would like to bring incorporate global health ideologies into my practice at a local level. With pharmacy being one of the most accessible health care professionals to the public, I hope to aid in global health efforts in improving health and equity problems by assisting patients in my own community. I am excited to learn more through the Global Health Certificate about the various societal, economic, and cultural factors that are involved in causing health disparities, and how to recognize them where I live. 

Alyne Majewski

Credentials: DPH-3

Position title: Student Senate Representative

Email: amajewski2@wisc.edu

Picture in Italy

Countries travelled to include Canada, Mexico, and Italy. I would LOVE to travel to Switzerland to see the Swiss Alps!

• I am interested in Global Health because different cultures offer so many different perspectives and approaches to medicine than what we are accustomed to, and being able to understand and respect (and even implement!) those practices will help us provide more well-rounded care to our patients.

Kimia Jazayeri

Credentials: DPH-3

Position title: Webmaster

Email: Kjazayeri@wisc.edu

Picture in Mexico, Tulum

Countries traveled to include Italy, Portugal, Germany, Turkey, Thailand, Dubai, Canada, Austria, Iran, and Mexico.

• I am interested in Global health for a lot of reasons. The main and biggest reason is that I was born and raised in a middle eastern country, and I have seen possible limitations that some countries may have in providing the best and the safest care to their patients despite the resources available. I strongly believe that health is a global concept that everyone must contribute their part to improve the well-being of others, whether from miles or countries apart. My goal as a future pharmacist is to incorporate global health values into my practice in hopes of contributing to my part in enhancing global health, thus better serving my patients.

Laurel Legenza

Credentials: PharmD, MS

Position title: Faculty Adviser

Email: legenza@wisc.edu

Picture is at Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa

APPE sites I have visited: Spain and South Africa

• I’m the Faculty Advisor for the Student Pharmacists in Global Health (SPiGH), Director of Global Health, and a pharmacist researcher at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Pharmacy. I’m interested in addressing health inequities locally and globally. I’m leading research projects in Wisconsin and South Africa connected to antimicrobial stewardship and strengthening health systems. I’m also an active member of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP), and looking forward to the next FIP Congress in Brisbane, Australia! Reach out to me for more information about international APPEs!!