Smart Restart Updates

See latest plans for Smart Start for UW–Madison at smartrestart.wisc.edu and the School of Pharmacy's operational update.
View Smart Restart info for SOP students.

Board Members

PGHIG Board Members 2020-2021

Tabitha Miller

DPH-3

Co-President

• Countries you’ve traveled to: Canada, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Spain
  • Why you’re interested in global health: I’d like to help shape policies throughout the globe in order to increase access to healthcare and promote equity across all genders, races, religions, socioeconomic classes, etc. to increase health, in body, mind, and environment, across the world.
  • Picture: Arc de Triomphe, Barcelona, Spain

Elise Brennan

DPH-2

Co-President

• Countries you’ve traveled to: Canada, Ireland, Iceland, Germany, England, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Virgin Islands

• I am interested in Global Health because I see how many disparities there are in healthcare around the world, and I want to play a role in helping close these gaps. I also have a strong interest in the study of infectious diseases. Infectious diseases vary widely depending on where in the world you go, so I hope to be able to travel while also working to find preventions and treatments for these illnesses. 

• Picture: Iceland

Hailey Thompson

DPH-3

Secretary

• Countries you’ve traveled to: India, Mexico, Canada, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Ireland, Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Dominican Republic.
  • Why you’re interested in global health: Global health is such an important topic because it affects us all. Epidemics, outbreaks, and health concerns occur in all reaches of the globe and can impact anyone regardless of socioeconomic standing, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Everyone thinks about global health as limited to undeveloped or underdeveloped areas of our world when in truth, global health concerns can be found anywhere. I am interested in global health because I want to be a part of the team that helps ensure care for all and to help prevent epidemics and illnesses that threaten us all. Illness knows no physical boundaries such as borders, so why should they impact the way we perceive and provide health care. A global approach to health care, in which the entire global population is our potential patient, is the only way to work towards a healthier planet.
  • Picture: Agra, India

Rachel Russ

DPH-3

Global Health Liaison

• Countries you’ve traveled to: Belize, Costa Rica, Spain, France, UK, Scotland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Denmark, Greece, Latvia, Estonia, Sweden, Finland, Russia, South Africa

• Why you’re interested in global health: Health and culture go hand in hand. A person’s experiences and way of life are directly linked to their health the way they make decisions regarding their health. I think it is incredibly interesting and important to learn about other cultures in order to provide the best care we can as health providers. Travel has been a huge part of my life growing up and being able to combine that with my studies and professional interests is very exciting. 

Picture: Swiss Alps

Emma Behan

DPH-2

Co-Director of Community Outreach

• Countries you’ve traveled to: Colombia, Ecuador, Morocco, Cambodia, Vietnam, Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, India, Turkey, Canada, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Greece, Germany, Hungry, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, England, Vatican City, Panama

• I am interested in global health because it is an opportunity to empower others not overpower. The idea of connecting to someone from a different background is a core value in the healthcare and pharmacy occupation. It is my belief that practitioners need to understand not only the patient’s symptoms but their lived experience as well. This is especially true in our exponentially growing diverse, multicultural society. Though we all have been born into different cultures by the virtue of the lottery of life, I am motivated to ensure that the system of genetic luck and privilege is not exacerbated by operating as an ego- and ethnocentric pharmacist.

• Picture: Norway

Luke Schwerer

DPH-2

Co-Director of Community Outreach

• Countries you’ve traveled to: Canada, Mexico, Slovenia, Hungary, Finland, Netherlands, Iceland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Italy, Croatia, France

• I am interested in Global Health because I am passionate about working on issues that transcend national boundaries, with a focus on under-served populations that are impacted the most. I feel that understanding cultural differences among populations are key in determining how people approach health and healthcare. Learning more about pharmacy and health services in other countries is not only important to help improve health in those communities, but also formulate ideas on how to improve health care systems back home. 

• Picture: Trogir, Croatia

Cynthia May

DPH-3

Student Senate Representative

• Countries: Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Mexico

• I’ve been interested in global health since hearing a presentation about global health research being done through the school of pharmacy. I previously had no idea that pharmacists from Wisconsin were able to make such a difference nationally and internationally through a focus on global health. Having lived in three different states now, I love the idea of learning about healthcare systems in other places and applying those principles to make healthcare better for everyone. The chance to participate in an international APPE also really drew me to UW-Madison. Although the pandemic has interfered with this opportunity, I’ve still loved hearing other students talk about their experiences while completing these APPEs in the past. I plan to seek out opportunities in the future to be involved with global health projects happening around the world, but in the meantime, I’m enjoying learning through PGHIG’s events.

Ben Enriquez

DPH-2

Webmaster

• Countries traveled to: Canada, Philippines, Taiwan

• Why you’re interested: Coming from a bamboo house on one of the thousands of minor islands in the Philippines to a rented house in downtown Madison, Wisconsin, I have witnessed firsthand the spectrum of healthcare on a global scale early on in my life. My hope is to take these life experiences and knowledge I have and apply it towards solving healthcare-related problems in Southeast Asian countries and specifically the Philippines. I am hoping this certificate will provide me with the tools to truly make a difference in not only my country of origin but the world.

• Picture: Carles, Philippines